Welcome to the Darwin Initiative & IWT Challenge Fund Home Page
This online application portal is for UK Government funded grant schemes the Darwin Initiative and the Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund.
From this page, you can begin a new application or access your account and continue working on an existing application – see the panels at the bottom of this page. You can only work on an application when the fund is open.
The Darwin Initiative and Darwin Plus
The Darwin Initiative supports developing countries to conserve biodiversity and reduce poverty.
The Darwin Initiative provides grants for projects working to help developing countries meet their objectives under:
- the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)
- the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA)
- the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES)
- the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
- the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS)
The Darwin Initiative encompasses a number of schemes:
- Main Projects
- Partnership Projects
- Fellowship Awards
- Darwin Plus projects and Fellowships, for projects in UK Overseas Territories
The IWT Challenge Fund
The UK Government is committed to helping to end the global scourge of the illegal wildlife trade.
As well as the devastating consequences for biodiversity and the environment, the illegal wildlife trade is a serious criminal industry worth billions of pounds, which damages local communities and undermines sustainable development in some of the world’s poorest countries.
The objective of the IWT Challenge Fund is to tackle the illegal wildlife trade and in doing so, to contribute to sustainable development in developing countries, through projects which address one, or more, of the following themes:
- Developing sustainable livelihoods and economic development, to benefit people directly affected by IWT
- Strengthening law enforcement
- Ensuring effective legal frameworks
- Reducing demand for IWT products
Status of application rounds
Main Projects Stage 1: Currently CLOSED. Closing date: Tuesday 24 July 2018.
Main Projects Stage 2: Currently CLOSED. Access by invitation only. Closing date: Monday 3 December 2018.
Partnership Projects: Currently OPEN. Closing date: Tuesday 13 November 2018.
Fellowship Awards: Currently OPEN. Closing date: Tuesday 13 November 2018.
IWT Challenge Fund
Stage 1: Currently CLOSED. Closing date: Tuesday 10 July 2018.
Stage 2: Currently CLOSED. Access by invitation only. Closing date: Thursday 22 November 2018.
Darwin Plus (restricted to work in the UK Overseas Territories)
Darwin Plus Projects: Currently OPEN. Closing date: Monday 3 September 2018.
Darwin Plus Fellowship Awards: OPEN. Closing date: Monday 3 September 2018.
For all queries specifically related to the use of the Flexi-Grant system, please email: Flexigrant@LTSI.co.uk